Guide to the National Lottery Heritage Fund
Every good project requires a reasonable budget for it to work out. If you are planning to conduct an extensive fundraising campaign to fund a UK heritage project, you will want to consider working with the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Learn more about the National Lottery Heritage Fund and how you can secure a grant for your project.
What Is the National Lottery Heritage Fund?
If you have projects dedicated to helping people and communities connect with their UK heritage on a national, regional, and local level, the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) could be the perfect funder for you.
The NLHF has the following objectives to keep in mind:
- They will continue creating opportunities to bring back heritage into a better condition for the country and its people to consume them.
- All heritage efforts must be inclusive.
- The chosen project should have a clear plan on how to use heritage into helping the people and the place thrive.
- Ideally, the project should also help the UK economy thrive.
If you get approval from the Heritage Fund, besides funding your project, they also can support the entire organisation until it becomes robust and enterprising enough for itself.
How to Apply for Funding
Making an application requires planning and preparation.
Just keep in mind the priorities and objectives of the organisation and individuals you are presenting to. You can apply for funding and get amounts of £10,000, or over £10,000, depending on the type of project you plan to do.
Here are some tips to remember:
- Tell your story well. A good story with no pretense and a clear vision is impactful.
- Equip it with a clear plan to show how you will achieve the changes you want. Make sure that the NLHF clearly understand how you foresee the project’s success. In other words, you also need to emphasise how funding your project could also benefit their objectives.
- Make sure that your project brings people together. NLHF’s priority is to focus on projects that would do that and also strengthen people’s relationships, especially those across communities.
- The Heritage Fund also love to support efforts in their earliest stage possible. You may want to apply for support in phases, with a smaller grant that helps you establish momentum towards your overall plan.
- Consider how to raise the partnership funding that will be required. Assess who else you will be able to approach for support. Put in place the necessary resources. Leave enough time and coordinate with NLHF deadlines.
Some of the projects that have been implemented are repainting and repairing historic houses and restoring the beauty of nature. Other projects focused on improving specific historic sites in the country. The NHLF would be happy to hear about such plans and stories if your project can help the community work together regardless of age and achieve similar goals.
Many projects and organisations that have been funded by the NLHF have so far showcased success. More projects like these are in the pipeline already. Despite that, there is a continued search for more beneficial projects that need funding. So, if your project fits, do consider whether an NLHF application is right for your organisation. If you need help to do so, get in touch.
If you need more fundraising tips or help with another area of your fundraising, such as legacies or major gifts, we can talk. Craigmyle Fundraising Consultants comprises funding consultants in the UK who treat fundraising as our vocation. Let us help you get the funding that you need.